Friday, December 2, 2011

TV obsession continued...

To elaborate more on my love of Televison... my mother, when I was a child, bought this out of control "contraption" that she attached to the TV, to where my sister and I could only watch a certain amount of shows if we had done chores, homework, etc. We each got a yellow, credit card looking object that my mom would put a certain amount of time on that we would slide through this machine and it would turn the TV on, and when the time ran out the TV would just shut off in the middle of a show! DIE! Side note: we didn't have cable, so our shows consisted of: Punky Brewster (I heart you Soleil Moon Frye), Blossom, Perfect Strangers, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Saved by The Bell, Boy Meets World, Out of This World, Alf, Small Wonder, I Dream of Jeannie, Gomer Pyle I Love Lucy, Perry Mason, etc., and, you can never forget the infamous Friday nights... TGIF: Step By Step, Full House, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper. I didn't drink or do anything rebellious in HS (except for smoking the occasional cigarette in my minivan, aka: crash test dummy), so I was uber excited for my Friday nights at home watching these shows with my sister. Anyway, I figured out how to manipulate the contraption to where it gave us unlimited minutes!!! Sorry, mom, i'm smarter than you and your awful ability to hide passwords.

Later on in life, while I was wasting my parents $ attending ACU, I got a call that my mother had cysts on her ovaries... Long story short, they ended up being benign tumors. Well, my father's gift to her for NOT having cancer (true story, gift for not having cancer) was to put in cable, FINALLY, and it was THE best news in life. Needless to say, I was uber excited to come home to visit to watch MTV!!! Well, low and behold, of course, my mother put a dang PASSWORD lock on the MTV channel, knowing that was my favorite channel, but to her (which some of it is) was "trash TV!"  I was 19 for goodness sakes, give me a break!!! Well, thank goodness (again, with my mom's awful ability to hide passwords) I found that password and watched it anyway, for years to come... WINNING!

I firmly believe (Nick agrees) if my parents would have had cable growing up, let me watch TV whenever I wanted, instead of trying to deprive me from it, then I wouldn't be so obsessed with it to this day!

9 comments:

  1. Just last night my 7 & 9 year old were telling me how sweet it would be if they could have a flat screen in their bed room. I just think that gives too much room for negative influence (esp)with cable. Keep television a family experience as much as possible and that way you can talk about the negative things that do come up. One way I like to keep the television a family experience is by keeping it in the family living room and not bed rooms. I have seen the results of parents having no boundaries on television, and that can breed a couch potato. Maybe a balance somewhere between the two it best? Either way, I loved reading about your experience, appreciate your open honesty, and enjoy your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is HILARIOUS!!! And, I agree, that is definiltey probably the culprit to your TV obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents let me watch whatever I wanted. The original House on Sorority Row was amazing, especially the part with the severed head in the toilet. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please add SAVED BY THE BELL to your list...how could you forget A.C. Slater and Zack Morris!?!? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know such a contraption existed, ugh, I would've died, lol. Agree, don't forget Saved By The Bell!! Kelly Kapowski/Lisa Turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Mom is awesome! Love this story. My kids thought we were prehistoric because we didn't have cable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite memories growing up as your neighbor because it was so funny to see you with problem solving at it's best. Impressive for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And we didn't have cable prior to college, so I too am a TV junkie now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew about this yellow card contraption!! I just knew I wasn't allowed to watch MTV. Which was DUMB! Hello look at the trash on there now ... which is the trash I love! Who doesn't love 16 and PREGNANT!! :)

    ReplyDelete